Learning does not end when school lets out. Neither does the need for good nutrition.
What is the Seamless Summer Feeding Program?
The Seamless Summer Feeding Program (SSFP) allows school districts to provide free summer meals in low-income areas during the traditional summer vacation periods. It is an extension of the National School Lunch Program (NSLP), which is administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Free breakfast and lunch meals that meet Federal nutrition guidelines are provided to all children and teens at approved SSFP sites.
How does my site apply to receive free summer meals?
There are two ways to apply. You can submit your application online (fastest/easiest), or your can print a PDF copy of our application and email it, mail it, or fax it in.
What's new for summer meals 2020?
- Enter your address into USDA's Area Eligibility Online Tool to determine if your site qualifies to receive free summer meals. Some sites can be qualified using other parameters, so email Jeremy Tunstill to learn more.
- We will back at Military Magnet as a North Charleston pick-up site.
- Burke is not available this summer, so we will be at Charleston Progressive and Charleston Math and Science – in addition to Sanders Clyde.
- We will be at Haut Gap instead of Angel Oak on Johns Island.
What are the dates of the Seamless Summer Feeding Program?
The 2020 CCSD Seamless Summer Feeding Program will operate: Monday, June 8 - Friday, August 7
Sites can operate during this entire nine weeks OR during any portion of the nine weeks. You decide what is best for you and your site.
All sites must attend ONE mandatory training session.
- Click here for training dates and locations (available soon)
What types of meals are provided?
Great food kids like -- that's what type. Breakfast and lunch meals that meet federal meal pattern and nutritional requirements will be served daily. Lunch meals will consist of mostly hot meal lunch entrees that are kid friendly like crispy chicken nuggets, hamburgers, hot dogs, and macaroni and cheese. Fresh fruits and vegetables are served daily, in addition to low-fat chocolate and white milk.
2020 Summer Breakfast and Lunch Menu (available soon)
All food pans, serving utensils, napkins, gloves, hair nets, condiments, and food transporting containers will be provided by CCSD.
How do sites receive meals?
Breakfast and lunch meals will be picked up by approved sites on a daily basis. We do not deliver summer meals.
Approved sites may pick up their meals daily between 9:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. We have 11 schools throughout Charleston County that are meal preparation sites:
- Charleston Progressive (downtown)
- Charleston Math and Science (downtown)
- Sanders Clyde Elementary (downtown)
- Harbor View Elementary Elementary (James Island)
- Haut Gap (Johns Island)
- St. James Santee (McClellanville)
- Stall High (North Charleston)
- Charleston County School of the Arts (North Charleston)
- Military Magnet (North Charleston)
- EB Ellington (Hollywood)
- Ashley River Creative Arts (West Ashley)
Who Can Participate?
Children 18 years of age or younger at approved sites are eligible to receive free summer meals. This program is not for adults.
How do I become a site that receives free summer meals?
Please complete the online Seamless Summer Feeding Program Application
Or click here to print the application. Submission instructions are on the application.
The deadline for receiving SSFP applications is Friday, May 1.
I want my site to receive free summer meals. What else do I need to know?
- Attend one CCSD summer site training session
- Serve meals to all needy children 18 years of age and under
- Serve meals that meet the minimum meal pattern requirements
- Provide adequate supervision during the meal service
- Ensure that children eat all meals on site
- Maintain and submit promptly such reports and records that the sponsor requires
- Report to the sponsor any changes in the number of meals required as attendance fluctuates
- Report any other problems regarding the meal services
- Comply with civil rights laws and regulations
- Adhere to local health and sanitation regulations
What Type of Site Do I Select?
Sites are divided into three categories:
- Open Site - All sites are encouraged to operate as open sites
Serves all children through age 18 at a site that is located within the geographical boundaries of the attendance area of a CCSD school where at least 50% of the children are certified eligible to receive free or reduced priceschool meals. Sites that meet this criterion are considered "area eligible."
**WE ENCOURAGE ALL SITES TO OPERATE AS OPEN SITES.
- Restricted Open Site -- On a first-come, first-serve basis, serves children through age 18 at a site that is located within the geographical boundaries of the attendance area of a CCSD school where at least 50% of the children are certified eligible to receive free or reduced price school meals. Attendance is limited for reasons of security, safety, or control. If you selected "restricted open" for your site, select which of the following reasons limits your attendance/participation: security, safety, or control.
- Closed Enrolled Site -- Serves only an identified group of enrolled children who are participating in a specific program or activity; these sites are not open for area children to "drop in" for meals and site activities. A school-based program (for a specific group of children) is an example of a closed enrolled site.
In accordance with federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability. To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, Room 326-W, Whitten Building, 1400 Independence Ave. S.W., Washington D.C. 20250-9410, or call (202)720-5964 (voice and TDD). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
For more information about the Seamless Summer Feeding Program, please contact:
CCSD Nutrition Services Officer
Charleston County School District Department of Nutrition Services
3999 Bridge View Drive
North Charleston, SC 29405